LATEST NEWS & PUBLIC NOTICE
NO PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING IN DECEMBER
The Planning Commission will not hold a December meeting, due to no pertinent business.
Sue Whitehead, Recording Secretary
DECEMBER BOARD OF REVIEW 2019
The Franklin Township Board of Review will hold their December meeting Tuesday, December 10th at 8 a.m. to correct clerical errors and mutual mistakes of fact; to consider poverty exemptions; and to correct principle residence exemptions. The meeting will held at the Franklin Township Hall, 3922 Monroe Road, Tipton, and is open to the public.
Franklin Township Clerk
SYNOPSIS OF AMENDMENT TO SIGN PROVISION OF THE FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP ZONING ORDINANCE #19-5. REGULATIONS
On November 12, 2019, the Township Board of Franklin Township adopted Ordinance #19-5, which amends the Franklin Township Zoning Ordinance regulations regarding signs. The following is a synopsis of the amendments.
1. INTENT AND PURPOSE. Sets forth the intent of the sign regulations.
2. DEFINITIONS. Sets forth definitions to be inserted in Article XXI (DEFINITIONS) of the Zoning Ordinance of Franklin Township under the heading of SIGN. This replaces the existing definitions.
3. POLITICAL SIGNS. Provides non-content based regulations for political signs.
4. GENERAL SIGN REGULATIONS. Provides regulations regarding the location, design, materials, illumination, size, height, setbacks, and removal of signs.
5. PROHIBITED SIGNS. Identifies certain classes of signs that are prohibited including (1) banners, pennants, search lights, twirling signs, sandwich boards signs, sidewalk or curb signs, balloons, or other forced air or gas filled figures are prohibited except as provided in the section regulating temporary signs; (2) animated or flashing signs that create a hazard for persons; (3) signs affixed to a vehicle or trailer in such a manner that the sign is used primarily as a stationary advertisement for the business on which the vehicle or trailer sits or is otherwise not incidental to the vehicle or trailers primary purpose; (4) abandoned signs; (5) signs not flown in conformity with Flag Etiquette Standards of Respect. (www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html); (6) portable signs, except as provided in the section regulating temporary signs; (7) signs that imitate an official traffic signs, hide from view any traffic or street sign or signal, obstruct the view in any direction at a street or road intersection, contain statements, words, or pictures of an obscene, pornographic, or immoral character, are painted on or attached to any fence or wall that is not a structural part of a building except to identify a residence, emit audible sound, odor, or visible matter and roof signs that extend above the peak of roof.
6. SIGNS PERMITTED IN ALL DISTRICTS. Identifies which signs are permitted, subject to certain restrictions, anywhere within the Franklin Township including community welcome signs, directional signs, and announcement bulletins.
7. SIGNS PERMITTED IN RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS. Provides that for the type, number and location of signs permitted for each public street frontage of subdivision, multiple-dwelling building development, or mobile home park.
8. SIGNS PERMITTED IN AGRICULTURAL DISTRICT (AG). Provides that for the type, number and location of signs permitted in agricultural districts.
9. SIGNS PERMITTED IN COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL DISTRICT(S). Provides that for the type, number and location of signs permitted in commercial and agricultural districts, including regulations for on-site canopy or marquee signs, wall signs, and freestanding signs and the conditions for such signs.
10. ELECTRONIC MESSAGE SIGNS. Establishes regulations for electronic message signs in commercial and industrial districts including location and size and limitations on sign transitions and night time dimming.
11. OFF-SITE SIGNS. Regulates off-site signs (billboards) including signs on state or federal highways in Agricultural, Commercial, Industrial Districts, subject to the Highway Advertising Act of 1972 (PA 106 as amended by PA 533 of the PA of 1998), including regulations on (1) conformity to yard and height requirements with a maximum height of 25 feet; (2) spacing between signs on roadways; (3) V-type sign structures (4) total surface area for signs facing in the same direction (5) prohibiting signs on roofs or stacking of signs; and (6) sign illumination.
12. TEMPORARY SIGNS. Identifies when and what size temporary signs are permitted, such as (1) street frontage signs for subdivisions and developments; (2) signs for building contractors, professional design firms, and lending institutions on sites under construction; (3) signs announcing any event or function; (4) banners, pennants, search lights, balloons, or other forced air or gas filled figures or objects for the opening of a new business or special event in a commercial or industrial district; (5) temporary directional signs; and (6) temporary real estate sign. Also regulates when such signs must be removed.
13. NON-CONFORMING SIGNS. Sets forth regulations for non-conforming signs including regulations dictating that a non-conforming sign may not be (1) reestablished after the business has been discontinued for sixty (60) days; (2) structurally altered so as to prolong the life of the sign or so as to change the shape, size, type, or design of the sign, unless the sign is being structurally altered to conform with the Ordinance; and (3) reestablished after damage or destruction, if the estimated expense or reconstruction exceeds fifty (50) percent of the replacement costs as determined by the Township Official.
14. ENFORCEMENT AND PENALTIES. Authorizes the Zoning Official to enforce the provisions of the sign ordinance by ordering removal of non-compliant signs upon thirty (30) days written notice to owner of such sign or of the building, structure, or premises on which said sign is located to remove the sign. Further provides that violations of the sign regulations are subject to the penalties established in Section 22.04 VIOLATION-PENALTY of the Zoning Ordinance in Franklin Township.
15. PERMITS AND FEES. Requires that a permit be obtained for all regulated signs and authorizes fees when buildiing and/or electrical permits are required.
16. DEFINITIONS. Defines the terminology used in the sign regulations including definitions for abandoned sign, announcement bulletin, billboard, business center, canopy or marquee sign, community welcome sign, directional signs, district, electronic message sign, freestanding sign, identification sign, illuminated sign, non-conforming sign, off-site sign, on-site sign, lot line, front, roof sign, sign, sign area, sign height, temporary sign and wall sign.
17. EFFECTIVE DATE. This Ordinance shall take effect thirty (30) days after publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the Township of Franklin.
All other provisions of the Zoning Ordinance remain unchanged.
A complete copy of amendments to the sign provision of the Franklin Township Zoning Ordinance can be viewed and obtained at the Franklin Township offices during normal business hours. The Township offices are located at 3922 Monroe Road, Tipton, MI 49287.
Franklin Township Clerk
BEGINNING WEEK OF AUGUST 5, 2019 - OCTOBER 2019 ADDRESS CANVAS LISTERS WILL VERIFY EACH HOME IN FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP.
MARCH 12-20, 2020 HOUSEHOLDS WILL RECEIVE AN INVITATION TO RESPOND EITHER ONLINE OR BY PAPER QUESTIONNAIRE FOR THE 2020 CENSUS. HOUSEHOLDS THAT DO NOT RESPOND WILL BE FOLOWED-UP IN PERSON. AN ACCURATE COUNT IS THE GOAL OF EVERY CENSUS. THE RESULTS OF THE CENSUS CAN HAVE A REAL IMPACT ON THE COMMUNITY FOR FUTURE PLANNING AND HOW FUNDS ARE DISTRIBUTED.
APPLY ONLINE AT 2020CENSUS.GOV/JOBS FOR OFFICE & IN-FIELD POSITIONS. FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CALL 1-855-JOB-2020.
Franklin Township Clerk